Thursday, March 15, 2012

Homemade Yogurt

I'm not gonna lie, I am not a big fan of store bought yogurt. I have texture issues with it and what exactly does that ingredient list say? So I ran across making your own yogurt several weeks ago and thought, hey maybe this will be different. I know home made bread and granola is better than store bought, so why not try it? Well I did using this recipe first. It worked and I liked it, then I ran across one of my favorite blogs post. The Girls Guide to Guns and Butter, if you haven't checked her blog out you should. Here is her recipe its good, its easier and takes less starter that has weird things in the ingredients. She also provides recipes for the multitude of uses besides with granola. I haven't tried them yet, but trust me its next on my list. I used a half gallon of whole milk and one tbsp of starter, which was a greek yogurt. I even drained the whey off of it just like she said and its thicker and tangy. I am impressed with myself thanks to her. I even bought a thermometer so I could make it exact and my oven's pilot kept the yogurt quite warm all night. I got a full quart and a little over a pint out of it. I store mine in canning jars and write on the lids and reuse them. Do you make yogurt?

2 comments:

  1. Great post. The plan is to make some on Sunday. Just posted about this earlier in the week myself on my LLWL Facebook page...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it turned out great for you too.

      Delete