Thursday, September 27, 2012

Super Energy Balls a decent after school snack (kinda)


I am not much for having processed cereals around, but it so happened in the last few months that we needed a quick breakfast on more than one occasion. On the side of the box of Tasteeos is a recipe my boys have asked for me to make repeatedly. I finally made it and its actually good. Here is the recipe on the box:
Super Energy Balls
1 cup of peanut butter
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup non fat dry milk powder
1/2 cup of raisins
2 cups Tasteeos cereal (cheerios like cereal)
1/2 to 2/3 cup flaked coconut
Combine peanut butter, butter, and honey stir well. Stir in milk powder and raisins. Add cereal, stir until evenly coated. Drop 1 tsp mixture into coconut and roll into a ball. Repeat and store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
The box says it makes 5 dozen, well I was lucky to get two dozen. It was hard to finish mixing and I had to use my hands. The coconut didn't want to stick either. I think most of my problems was my peanut butter, its a natural kind and has to be refrigerated. If it was warmer it would have been easier to stir. Even my husband loved these, in fact I made them yesterday and there is 3 sitting in the fridge this morning. My husband even gave me a new idea, to coat them in chocolate. Sounds super healthy right? So I got some almond bark and I am remaking them today.
 Update- I am so eating one right now covered in chocolate. I think we have a problem because these rock! I just chopped some almond bark and melted it in my redneck double boiler (aka a steel bowl on top of a pan with boiling water) since we do not have a microwave. I coated the balls and let dry on wax paper. When the chocolate got too cool the coconut fell of more, but otherwise they held together great. These are definately on my remake on special occasion list!

No comments:

Post a Comment