Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Baking bread, buttermilk and gluten free

I have never made bread so much in my life until I got the book "Atrisian Bread in 5 Minutes a Day." Its quite interesting, and easy to make the recipes. So today my son Mason and I are making bread. We are also making a gluten free bread, I intend to make and sell bread. My first loaf of gluten free turned out horribly, you could have broke a window with it. Little did I know you had to use potato starch instead of potato flour. Im still learning about gluten free. My newest loaf is in the oven now its very pretty and it rose quite nicely. Thanks to Rachel, a blogger whos recipe I used and I also had to ask her many questions, she is super nice. The blog is http://recreatinghappiness.blogspot.com/2010/11/alternate-bread-recipe-new-better.html#comment-form    Please check out her blog and recipes she has lots of good ones.

 Buttermilk Bread makes three 1 1/2 pound loaves.

2 cups lukewarm water
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tbsp granulated yeast (2 packets)
1 1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
6 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I use bleached and it works fine)

Mix the yeast, salt, and sugar with the water and buttermilk in a 5 quart bowl or lidded container. Mix the flour in without kneading, using a spoon works great. Cover dough, not air tight though, and let it rise and collapse (or flatten on top) about 2 hours. You can use it now or put it in the fridge which makes it easier to handle. Refridgerate in a lidded container, I use the bowl I mixed it in with plastic wrap, and use within 7 days.  When ready to bake lightly greaser your loaf pan, dust the surface of dough with flour and cut off a 1 1/2 pound piece, cantaloupe sized. Use a serated knife for this. Dust the piece with flour and quickly shape into a ball by pulling surface of dough down and under it. Turn it a quarter turn each time and elongate it into an oval. Drop it into prepared loaf pan and let it rest an 1 and 40 minutes for cold and 40 minutes for fresh. Dust the loaf with flour and slash the top then coat with melted butter. Preheat oven to 350 and bake it for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. When its done remove it from pan and let it cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment