Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Baked Potato Soup

Nothing like hot soup on a cold night. Today is cold, so I decided to make soup for dinner. I love this soup and so does my family.
Baked Potato Soup                       
potatos
onion
garlic
bacon or bacon bits
cheese
flour
oil or grease
To start out, peel some potatoes and dice them, how many you ask? I dont know I just peel enough that the pan is a little over half full. Cover these with water and let them boil away. Next, if you are going to use bacon instead of bacon bits, cook it until nice and crispy, reserving the grease for whats next. Dice an onion and get some garlic minced, put these in a skillet with a little olive oil and cook until the onions are see through. Its great to cook them in bacon grease if you have some available. Add some flour to this and make a rue and let this cook for a few minutes, like your making gravy. Next add some of the water from your now cooked potatoes until you have a creamy mixture that can pour easily, then pour your mixture into your pan with potatoes, stirring well. This should make a nice creamyish looking soup. Crush or cut up your bacon or open jar of bacon bits and add some of it to the soup and save the rest for toppings. When you serve the soup put some bacon and cheese in every bowl. My boys love bieng able to add how much they want and what they want. My oldest wants both cheese and bacon and my middle doesnt want any cheese at all. If you want to add a little greenage, you could dice up some celery and add it to the onions as they cook. I served this with the whole wheat bread I also made today, it was a very good dinner and we have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment