Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Gluetn Free Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

I found the original recipe on the Hip girls guide to homemakings site and of course I can never find the specific flours called for so I changed the recipe. You can find the original http://hipgirlshome.com/blog/2011/12/14/pumpkin-cinnamon-rolls-gluten-free.html and below is my version of it. I find that gluten free doughs are challenging, they are wetter and stickier and never seem to do what I want. It stuck horribly to the wax paper when I tried to roll it, I know better for next time to add more tapioca flour and make it drier. I just pulled these out of the oven and they smell heavenly. Good luck on making these and let me know of any changes you have made.

Gluten free pumpkin cinnamon rolls
1/4 cup of warm water
2 yeast packets
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup sweet white rice flour
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp Tapioca flour/starch
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tbsp millet flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
Mix the warm water and yeast in small bowl and set aside. In a large bowl mix all ingredients from brown rice flour through allspice, mix well. In another large bowl mix melted butter, light brown sugar, pumpkin puree, egg and yeast mixture. Slowly add flour mixing well after each addition. If its to wet after all the flour is added, add more tapioca flour to make it more dough like. This is where I went wrong, next time Ill add more in. Place two large sections of parchment or wax paper on table, put dough on this and add more paper on top to cover dough. Roll out until its 1/4 inch thick and rectangle shaped. Remove top layer of paper and spread 4 tbsp of softened butter on dough. In a bowl mix the following ingredients:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Mix well and then sprinkle over butter coated dough covering to the edges. Roll up the dough carefully, I had to scrape mine off the wax paper, but I got it. When its rolled into a log cut it into 1/2 inch pieces and put in a greased pan. Let rise for 1 hour, then preheat oven to 350 and bake for 14 minutes turning the pan around halfway through the time. You can use any icing you want on top, Im going to make mine out of confectioners sugar and water.
Edited to add:
These get easier to make every time I make them, and I finally took a picture of them before I baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment