Sunday, December 18, 2011

Orange Marmalade

I never remember eating orange marmalade growing up, I know I probably did though. Ill sure never forget the first time I canned it. My oldest boy was still a baby, so its been a good 7 to 8 years ago. I have come to love the patience it takes to make it. From cutting the zest off, then peeling the pith, then chopping the fruit, and then the waiting 2 weeks for it to set. Its all worth it to me, and now hopefully worth it to my wonderful fiance, Jeromi, who so awesomely helped me peel today. I went about making it a little different today, I used cuties, the baby oranges, instead of large ones. It tastes great still, it took 8 cuties. I got them and the lemons at homeland this morning, just imagining what I was going to make with them later. The boys loved the cuties too, we have gone through almost 2 bags today, lol. Good luck making this and if you have any questions about canning, please ask.

Orange Marmalade
4 oranges (I used 8 cuties)
2 lemons
Remove the zest of oranges and lemons, chop and set aside. Peel and discard the pith, the white part. Chop the fruit, saving and juice with it and set aside. Place the peels, 2 1/2 cups of water and 1/8 tsp baking soda in a large pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add fruit and juice and simmer 10 more minutes. I didnt measure my end result of this, but it should add up to 4 cups of the cooked fruit.
4 cups cooked fruit
5 1/2 cups of sugar
Add sugar and 1 box of pectin to fruit. Cook until it reaches a full rolling boil, cook like this for 1 minute stirring constantly. Skim foam if needed then put into prepared jars and wipe lid and rim, put on the 2 piece lids and screw it down tightly. Water bath for 10 minutes, when they cool off check lids for a good seal. This may take 2 weeks to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment